Patient Experience Improvement
My Intent of this case study is to find the opportunities for improvement in Adyar Cancer Institute’s overall treatment experience and to ideate a pragmatic solution through digitalization which will benefit both the Hospital Management and Patients through increased patient self-service.
I did an ethnographic study in Adyar Cancer Institute to understand the key audience of the system, processes that is being followed for consultation, treatment and administration, Critical pain points faced by specific audience segments. The outcomes of my observations are listed below.
- The system could be broadly classified in to 4 categories of people, Cancer Survivors (Patients coming for their periodic checkup), In-Patients (admitted for treatment), and Doctors, Administration Staffs
- The primary segment of the patients are middle class, whose monthly income is between 15000 and 18000
- Patients speaking Telegu are considerably higher than other languages
- Cancer Type: Women - majorly Breast, Cervix and Ovary. Men - Lungs and Oral cavity
- Women patient are considerably higher than men
- High waiting time during consultation visits ~5 Hrs
- Long queues in cash counters (on an average 20 people during the peak hours 9AM to 12PM)
- Patients medical history/reports will be searched from repository and will be brought to the consultation room
- Hospital staffs from doctors to administration staffs are not getting enough time to have their lunch and refreshment breaks
- Lack of infrastructure for growing demand on in-patients
There are many opportunity for improvement. But, I would like to focus on
How can I inform patients on their expected waiting time and how can I reduce it?
Frustrations from patients:
- I don’t have any clue when I will be called for my consultation. I am waiting for more than 3 hours
- I brought my lunch from home, since the consultation will take long time. I cannot have outside food/food from restaurants. But here I don’t have any proper place to have my lunch
- Due to large number of patients they won’t let me to talk to the senior doctor
- I am on my 4th Chemo. I am tired for sitting here
Based on my conversation with patients, I derived a persona to tell a story of their day in consultation.
Frustrations from Office Staffs:
- It's a packed day. Could not get 5 minutes as break to have Juice
- I skipped my breakfast
- Difficult to manage the crowd
Read more UX Projects
As a User Experience analyst, I am focusing on NutriMax's data need from its customers, to improve their user
An alternate idea for #tag which results spam (most of the times) and memes during search in emergency.